Sunday 22 April 2012

Ancient Egyptian Art Reflection


Ancient Egyptian Art Project Reflection


 Our assignment for the end of the Ancient Egypt unit is to draw a picture that is going to explain and make others understand the time period and the people of Ancient Egypt. We had to include hieroglyphics, registers and symbols.
            On my art work I represent Nefertiti, a pharaoh’s wife named Amenhoptep, and her mummification process. I have split the paper in two sections. At the left part I drew Nefertiti’s portrait and at the top of the page I drew the Udjat, protective eye symbol but also Thoth who was the god of writing and knowledge.
 I chose to draw Thoth because usually queens were educated in ancient Egypt. I also added some hieroglyphics. At the right side of the page I have three different scenes that all include hieroglyphics and the Lotus; the symbol of rebirth. Having the pharaoh or other important people protected in afterlife it was really important to ancient Egyptians because they believed in rebirth.
On the right side of the paper we can see two scenes where they wrap the body of dead. In both first and second scene I have included hieroglyphics and the god of the dead and embalming; Anubis. The reason I chose to draw Anubis is because he makes the body of the dead, Nefertiti, look lifelike. Underneath these scenes there is the mummy when it is finished and decorated. Next to the mummy there are two canopic jars where they used to put the organs of the dead.   
I chose to draw the great royal wife, description for Nefertiti, because often women were supposed  to be weaker than men and not very often we see women marked as important people like Cleopatra. My was to describe the general mummification system but also show that she was an important princess. So my artwork would have been found in a tomb wall because in tombs they painted important moments of the dead person or events that he or she attended to.

No comments:

Post a Comment